wiki:IETF103

Version 3 (modified by mohit.m.sethi@…, 4 years ago) (diff)

Lwig added

The following INT working groups met at the IETF 103 in Bangkok

6lo 6man 6tisch dmm dnssd homenet intarea ipwave lpwan lwig ntp

LWIG

Chairs: Mohit Sethi, Zhen Cao

The Light-Weight Implementation Guidance (LWIG) Working Group met on November 7, 2018 for 1 hour and followed its agenda as scheduled. We ran out of time at the end but still managed to cover all the agenda items.

  • Chairs gave a status update on the various drafts in the working group. In addition to discussing new and existing documents, there was a discussion on draft-ietf-lwig-cellular-06. The draft has been in the RFC editors queue for > 1000 days because of a MISSREF. There was consensus in the room to wait and see if a last call is issued for the missing normative reference. Otherwise the working group might consider pulling the document back from the RFC editors queue to investigate if the normative reference is necessary (and if any other updates are required).
  • draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-04 was presented by Carlos. The working group draft describes how to implement light-weight TCP on small devices. This draft was also presented in the TCPM working group. The draft received plenty of new feedback both during the LWIG and the TCPM sessions. Ilpo Järvinen sent another detailed review on the mailing list after the working group session. The authors now plan to update the document based on the latest round of comments and we might issue a WGLC if all the reviews are adequately addressed.
  • draft-ietf-lwig-nbr-mgmt-policy-02 was presented by Rahul. The draft describes a neighbor management policy for RPL based 6LoWPAN networks. The working document was updated based on an early review by the chair. The authors already have a proprietary implementation and are working to also have an open source implementation with the Contiki OS folks. There was discussion on splitting the document given that some of the recommendations only apply to specific scenarios and are not generally applicable. The room however had consensus to keep the current document structure.
  • There was an interesting presentation on performance of 6lo fragment forwarding by Rahul. This work was also presented in 6lo. Based on this performance report, we expect an update to the working group document on virtual reassembly buffers in 6LoWPAN (draft-ietf-lwig-6lowpan-virtual-reassembly-00).
  • draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-01 was remotely presented by Rene. The working group draft provides guidelines for developers implementing standard ECC curves such as NIST P-256 and EdDSA25519 and x25519 on small devices. Implementations of the recommendations in the draft already exist. We are now waiting from more reviews from crypto experts in the crypto expert review panel (Alexey Melnikov has promised to help on this).

All in all, a successful and productive meeting. Thanks to Suresh for guiding us. We continue in Prague.

6TiSCH

During IETF103, the 6TiSCH WG has 1 WG meeting and 2 side meetings.

The WG meeting covered 5 drafts:

  • draft-ietf-6tisch-architecture is almost ready. Pascal pushed -16 before the meeting. Pascal will merge draft-ietf-6tisch-terminology into draft-ietf-6tisch-architecture and publish -17. WGLC will be called and authors of the key 6TiSCH draft will be asked to review.
  • rfc8480 was published.
  • draft-ietf-6tisch-msf was covered through 3 presentations: an intro and two "lessons learnt" presentations by 2 implementors (one by simulation using the 6TiSCH simulator, one by experimentation using OpenWSN). Performance is very good and matches the expectations, some lessons learnt already captured in Appendix E of draft-ietf-6tisch-msf. Authors will update the document based on these lessons learnt and ensure with implementors that all lessons learnt have been captured.
  • draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security is almost ready. It received 7 reviews during the last WGLC, all of which have been integrated, and which reviewers approve. Two final changes are still needed. Editor will discuss those on the ML, integrate them into a new version of the draft if consensus. Chairs will then open a 1-week WGLC only on those changes.
  • draft-tiloca-6tisch-robust-scheduling is new out-of-charter work which proposes a "cell shuffling" solution to prevent a selective jamming attack. The presentation was well received, the author are asked to provide more arguments about the importance of such attack.

The first side meeting was bar BoF "Predictable and Available Wireless", organized by Pascal Thubert, in which we discusses the opportunity to apply 6TiSCH to other physical layers, in particular 802.11 WiFi?. Discussions are continuing on a new mailing list https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paw.

The second side meeting was called to discuss EDHOC (draft-selander-ace-cose-ecdhe) and was attended by Jim Schaad (ace co-chair), Roman Danyliw (ace and secdispatch co-chair), Goran Selander, Francesca Palombini (EDHOC authors), Malisa Vucinic (6TiSCH security), Pascal Thubert and Thomas Watteyne (6TiSCH co-chairs). It was agreed that draft-selander-ace-cose-ecdhe would go through the secdispatch process to find the right home for it. The 6TiSCH WG agreed to produce a requirements document in end-of-year, and present that to a secdispatch interim meeting which will be held in January 2019.