wiki:IEEE802andIETFCoordinationGuide

IETF / IEEE 802 coordination chairs’ guide

(Last Revised on 6 July 2017)

The purpose of this guide is to document the process that has been working to run the coordination activities between IETF and IEEE 802.

Meeting cycle:

End of January, May and September send out a Doodle poll to set the time for teleconferences in February, June, October, respectively.

One to two weeks before teleconference, co-chairs have a prep call for meeting.

  • Go over coordination item list and send emails to owners as necessary to get updates;
  • Identify potential owners for emerging items; and
  • Consider coordination activities for any emerging items/issues for discussion.

Hold a telecon in February, June and October. Typical telecon agenda:

  • Roll Call, Agenda Bashing
  • Review of Other Action Items from Previous Meetings (not part of the shared items list)
  • <other business such as discussing any new or hot issues or when to have a F2F>
  • Upcoming plenary meetings - short pass on the IETF BOFs and IEEE 802 PARs that may be relevant to IEEE 802 and IETF coordination
  • Areas of shared interest between the IETF and IEEE 802. Review of the list of items, status and action items - discussion led by co-chairs
  • Review of Action Items

Post minutes to the mail list and ask for corrections. After corrections are made, post to the web page.

Plan for meeting at IETF. Usually this has been a breakfast meeting. Request room with support for audio conferencing. Request breakfast too as IETF has been generously providing that. This meeting is usually used to discuss any arising issues or topics that need discussion rather than a full list review. Usually we skip this meeting when we have a face-to-face (F2F) around the same time as the IETF meeting.

Face-to-face IEEE 802 / IETF leadership meetings

We've found it helpful to have F2F meetings from time to time so that we can discuss working together on longer-term strategic topics, have a more extended interaction on thorny issues and get to know each other. Establishing informal communications between the leadership of the two organizations is very helpful. Doing this about every 18 to 24 months works well as the leadership of both groups evolves over time.

Start planning for holding a F2F at least 8 months to a year ahead of time. Considerable planning is necessary.

When and where to hold the meetings: This is the most difficult part of the logistics.

  • When IEEE 802 and IETF meetings fall close together (both in time and distance), it has been possible to hold the meeting between them at one of the meeting venues.
  • When they don’t fall close together, we have held the meeting at a hotel near a hub airport to make travel as convenient as possible. When a special meeting is needed:
    • IEEE 802 and IETF split the meeting costs.
    • A doodle poll can be used to identify preferred dates and locations.
  • Generally we have met for 8 hours including breaks and lunch.
  • Between 20 and 40 people has been an effective group size. Large enough for a range of expertise and viewpoint and small enough for getting to know each other and having good interaction.
  • All ADs and IEEE 802 WG chairs are invited. Many attend but not all. Significant contributors and owners of the items on the shared items list are also very welcome. At least one IESG Admin Team member (usually Cindy Morgan) also attends and manages the logistics together with an IEEE 802 team (usually Jon Rosdahl).
  • Minimal requirements: meeting room, projector, Internet connectivity, WebEx? / Meetecho or similar for remote participation.

Discuss the meeting on teleconference and solicit agenda topics. Identify an initial agenda to ensure that there is sufficient material to discuss. In addition to a round of introductions and a pass through the shared items list, there should be around 6 to 8 agenda topics of interest to both groups. Identify owners for the agenda items.

Continue to refine the agenda over the months as new issues may emerge. Ideally, it should be firm a couple of months before the meeting. Even so, if a major or urgent issue surfaces, there should be flexibility to modify the agenda to add it and adjust the time for other items to compensate.

A wiki is used to publish the logistics and agenda and to collect a list of participants. It should be initiated a couple of months before the meeting.

Last modified 20 months ago Last modified on Dec 12, 2017, 11:52:05 AM