Opened 21 months ago

Closed 4 months ago

#31 closed enhancement (fixed)

XML format: policy published

Reported by: vesely@… Owned by:
Priority: major Milestone: Deliverable #3 (changes to DMARC base spec + DMARC Usage Guide
Component: dmarc-aggregate-reporting Version:
Severity: - Keywords:
Cc:

Description

Note added by Freddie Leeman in http://bit.ly/dmarc-rpt-schema

The comment before <xs:complexType name="PolicyPublishedType"> changed to:

<!-- The published DMARC policy.

Unspecified tags MUST contain their default values -->

Consequently, minOccurs="0" is struck out from elements adkim and aspf.

The phrase "in effect" is struck out from the comment preceding element fo.

Change History (5)

comment:1 Changed 21 months ago by freddie@…

My blog on DMARC reporting and RFC guidelines: https://www.uriports.com/blog/dmarc-reports-ietf-rfc-compliance/

The DMARC aggregate report has an element with the name policy_published. This name would indicate that the elements within, contain the domain's published policy. The current RFC explains this element as PolicyPublishedType.

The comments mention "applied" which is in contrast to the name of the element (policy_published), as some organizations that send aggregate reports do not send failure reports and thus do not "apply" the "fo" (Failure reporting options) element. This particular element's comment also implies that it is optional: "failure reporting options in effect". On the other hand, this element has a default minOccurs value of 1, so it should not be omitted.

If you ask me, the comments are to blame, and that's why so many organizations have a different implementation. I think the element policy_published should just be just that: "the published policy". When a policy tag is omitted in the prolicy because it is optional (adkim, aspf, sp, pct and fo), the tag's default value should be used in the reports.

As the default minOccurs value is 1, I suggest we remove the minOccurs=0 in this situation instead of changing it to minOccurs=1.

comment:2 Changed 21 months ago by freddie@…

As the default minOccurs value throughout the guidelines is 1, I've removed all the minOccurs=1 from the document. This was causing interpretation issues because only some of the elements specified this.

comment:3 Changed 9 months ago by todd.herr@…

  • Component changed from dmarc-future-notes to dmarc-aggregate-reporting

comment:4 Changed 7 months ago by mail@…

Looks good to me in -02.

comment:5 Changed 4 months ago by alex_brotman@…

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.